How To Find A Job In Web3
Are you interested in working for a Web3 company? Your skills may be in demand at companies that are building the future of finance, gaming, and community collaboration.
Linkedin currently has over 22,000 crypto/Web3 jobs posted in Europe and the United States alone. We may be entering a bear market in crypto, but Web3 projects are on the hunt for talent!
That’s why TOA, for instance, has designed their latest program, Crypto Talent Klub, to help you acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to land a job in Web3.
While some larger firms like Gemini and Coinbase have reported layoffs, many well-funded projects are gearing up to build the Web3 solutions of the future. Large, established corporations are adopting Web3 technology as well. They need people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the Web3 space.
We’ve written this article with the same spirit as our newest Klub: To provide you with a toolkit for landing a job in Web3.
We’ll touch on:
- Non-technical skills that are most in-demand at Web3 companies
- The knowledge base you should develop to land a Web3 job
- How to stand out in a Web3 community and get noticed by the project team
- Resources for finding Web3/crypto job opportunities
Non-technical skills in demand in Web3
While blockchain developers and engineers continue to be in demand, Web3 companies are also in need of a wide range of less technical skills to execute on their visions.
- Community Management: In Web3 community is everything. Web3 projects seek to create a two-way, mutually beneficial relationship with their communities. In most cases, community interactions are happening on the Discord or Telegram platforms. Knowledge of how to efficiently setup, manage and engage users on these platforms is in high demand.
- Content Creation: Twitter skills are a superpower. Onboarding and community engagement are top of mind for Web3 teams. The ability to create engaging content about Web3 topics makes you a valuable resource. This could be written or video content. And don’t forget the memes! Web3 projects are hiring creators just to produce memes.
- Product Management: If you previously worked as a product manager in the tech world, your skills definitely apply to Web3. However, you should be ready to make decisions in an environment with higher ambiguity than traditional tech. Also understand that your role will be very public, as you will need to involve/communicate with the community on decisions.
- Business Development: Web3 projects often depend heavily on partnerships with other projects. If you are skilled in identifying synergies, communicating value, and managing relationships there are well paying opportunities for you in Web3.
- Recruiting: The rapid growth of the Web3 space means many projects are looking for recruiting support to build their teams.
Sound interesting? Now, let’s dive into what it takes to start working with a Web3 company.
Acquire basic Web3 knowledge
- Be able to explain blockchain technology in a few sentences
- Have a high-level understanding of what Web3 is and the core principles of community, ownership, and decentralization
- Understand the difference between proof of work and proof of stake blockchains
- Make sure you can explain what an NFT is
- Understand what a DAO is and why so many Web3 projects are adapting this structure (giving ownership and governance responsibilities to their communities)
- Have a basic understanding of what the metaverse is
- Understand the concepts of staking and mining
Learn basic Web3 skills
- Signup for a Metamask wallet so you can understand the experience of managing a secret recovery phrase safely
- Swap some fiat for cryptocurrency to fund your metamask wallet
- Practice swapping crypto on decentralized protocols like Uniswap or Sushi
- Connect your wallet to NFT platforms like OpenSea and Rarible and check out the marketplaces (maybe buy your first NFT)
Join some Web3 communities
Web3 projects have a major focus on community. One of the best ways to find a job in Web3 is to join and engage in communities that are interesting to you.
Some communities are token-gated, meaning you need to purchase an NFT or the community DAO’s governance tokens to gain full access. However, many Web3 projects have open communities on Discord or Telegram. You can join these communities and start interacting with other community members immediately. I’ve often found myself chatting directly with the founders of Web3 projects in the community Discord.
“Stand out by engaging and adding value to the community.”
The best way to get noticed by the project team is to add value to the community. If you are starting interesting conversations that drive community engagement it will be noticed.
- Share your ideas about how the community might do something better
- Create useful content for the community — share it via social media and in the relevant Discord channels
- Offer your talents and resources to the community whatever they are
Twitter is your Web3 resume
Web3 teams are looking for people who have a genuine interest and passion in Web3. Twitter is the best place for you to display that passion:
- Follow Web3 projects that you find interesting
- Retweet interesting Web3 content
- Post engaging content about your favorite projects and Web3 topics
This is especially important if you are looking for a role in content creation / social media management.
Useful resources for Web3 opportunities
- Crypto Jobs List — Streamlined job board that shows you how many people have already applied for an opportunity
- Cryptocurrency Jobs — Easy to navigate job board with excellent filtering by niche
- Crowd Create — fill out a single application form and get connected with Web3 companies
- Angel List — Not a Web3 focused platform, but has excellent opportunities in Web3 with target salary displayed
- Ethlance — blockchain-based platform connecting employers with those looking for freelance gigs
Are you ready to start your Web3 journey? TOA’s Crypto Talent Klub can help hit the ground running.
- Learn useful skills to jumpstart your Web3 career
- Acquire relevant industry knowledge
- Leverage TOA Klub’s growing network (including founders looking to build their teams)